March 18, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hello Wonderful Family and Friends! :)

Thank you all so much for being utterly amazing, I love you and I love reading your emails, letters. :) Thank you for your love and support, it helps so much, more than you can ever imagine. :) This week like the last has been quite an adventure! :) As I've heard you all have been having your own adventures! It's so beautiful here in Oregon during the spring, I've never seen so many Pink trees. Literally! Pink! :D Well, here we go! :)


March 10: So I forgot to write about this last week, but I was shopping at Costco with my companion and a member in our ward, when we were turning in front of the produce section, and I see someone coming towards my general position, I gently move aside as a keep walking so I don't block their path, but then they made a similar course correction into my direction. Then started coming towards me, I then looked up and saw that it was my mission president, President Young and his wife! I didn't recognize them because they had finished their morning exercise and had to make a quick stop at Costco. President Young gave me a big hug and we chatted for a few minutes. It was great to see them, it's so fun having them be my "Mission Mom and Dad" :) Then later throughout the day I was able to iron a couple of my shirts and ties. (Speaking of which I need to do that today too.) And then later in the evening we visited a member who was so happy to see that both me and my companion stayed for this next transfer! She was just over joyed and we talked for a few minutes on their porch.

March 11: Today my poor companion has been fighting a head cold of some sorts. Fortunately I have not yet contracted it or been feeling the effects of it, and I think it's because I've been taking an Allegra Allergy every day. So we did a mini exchange with the other missionaries in our area and we went and taught a lesson on the word of wisdom, which focuses on how we can remain healthy if we refrain from coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and other harmful or addictive substances. But it also teaches how we should take care of our bodies by eating lots of grains, fruits and veggies, meat, dairy, etc. Our investigator loved what we were teaching and really wants to change their life by living the word of wisdom. It was a great discussion. :)

March 12: Lately with the upcoming sessions of General Conference approaching, my companion and I have been listening to a conference message every once in a while during studies or while we eat lunch. It's been really good being able to listen to general authorities of the church sharing their insights and testimony of the Gospel and calling us to serve with a greater love and compassion for those around us. :)

March 13: Today we finally got our apartment straightened out and we were able to enjoy the beautiful sunshine! A few days ago while we were getting ready for bed, I put my interior design skills to use and fixed up our living room so it's now functional and we are able to use it for our lunches and a few training sessions. :) We had a great visit with a new investigator who we taught the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and talked about how the Church was restored on the earth in these modern days. It went really well I feel and I think our investigator is becoming more and more interested and wants to continue to learn. :) Recently however, we found out that one of our dear elderly friends here who is a member but isn't able to make it to
church regularly, really wanted to change their life around and was sharing several books published in Salt Lake City for the sharing and use of missionaries. But we found out that they had some severe health problems arise and passed away this passed week. It was really sad for me because I had only talked to them only 3 times and I felt so close to them and considered them a dear friend of mine. But I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation that promises that we can be with our families forever and that life does not end at the grave. :)

March 14: We had a great District Meeting this week and I found a copy of the Hymns Made Easy on LDS.org, and I was so happy because I'm getting back into playing the piano! :D I'm really happy about that. :) Then later this evening we were able to teach the word of wisdom to another of our investigators who was already starting to live it! :) It was such a great discussion and our investigators are simply awesome. They truly have a desire to grow closer to our loving Heavenly Father. :)

March 15: Today my companion was hit pretty hard again with his head cold, so we called our Mission Presidents Wife and asked what we should do to help him get better. She simply recommended that we get
outside and enjoy the sunshine, and if that didn't work than try resting a few afterwards and see if that would help. So we called a local member and asked if we could do some service for them. So we got out side, walked to her place and mowed their lawn and pulled some weeds. They were so grateful to have our help and my companion was also feeling much better!

March 16: It was a great Sunday meeting and Sacrament meeting, what can I say I love Sundays so much! We also met with a potential investigator who is also really interested in learning more. Did I mention I joined the ward choir? :)

Well thank you so much for all your kind letters and letting me know how your doing.Talk to you next week!



All the best,

Elder Harper