February 17, 2014

Things are going well here in the mission field!

Hello Everyone! Thank you so much for letting me know how you are doing this week. I dearly appreciate it every single week to know how you are doing and what you are up do! This is probably going to be a real quick weekly email because my time is almost up. But I just want you to know how much I love you all! :)

Feb 11:
We taught a man today the first lesson of The Restoration and we introduced the Book of Mormon to him, and shared the First Vision of Joseph Smith, and we challenged him to be baptized and he said yes! :D But he wanted to pray for when he wanted to be baptized, so hopefully tomorrow we can present a date that he will accept. But I was just so happy after that lesson because the Spirit was there and I could see him coming unto Christ and feeling of His love for him. :)

Feb 12:
I went on my first missionary exchange today! It's kind of like a missionary sleep over, you spent the night and spend the whole day with another Elder. You learn how they work and what you want to apply in your own companionship. And then we had Ward Mission Night where we go with ward members to find people who are in our records who have either moved out of the area or confirm if they are still here and if they are doing alright. We met with one lady who was very nice and musically talented. But she left the church because she didn't feel welcomed while in another state. And my heart just went out to her, I want to stress the importance of being friendly and welcoming to all who come into the church because it's our duty to fellowship with one another and not just with the friends we already know. If there is one thing I've learned recently is that members often times play a bigger role in missionary work than we realize.

Feb 13:
Today I changed my tire for the first time! :D It was quite an experience. I've never had to do that before, but we went down to a bike shop and bought a new tube and switched it out, and hopefully the new tube is thicker and less likely to pop. :)

Feb 14:
Happy Valentines Day! :) Today I had my first district meeting and learned from each other and how our specific area is working. We shared a chapter, Mosiah 27, with a recent convert to help build her faith in prayer because she is going through a really hard time. But we promised her that miracles do happen through prayer. Not always in the form or manner we expect them, but they do happen. :) We also had a lovely dinner with a family in our ward and they made us pink pancakes! :D

Feb 15:
We found someone who is going through a hard time and is wanting to learn how to read and write. I never realized until now how much we take for granted being able to read and write, sharing ideas through written text. It's simply unimaginable. I am so grateful for it and I hope we can continue to help our new friend. We also went tracting (Knocking on Doors) and found someone who didn't really know the church or what it was about, but she was really interested and wants us to come back this Saturday! :) Then we had dinner at our Bishops house, and they are awesome! Their son is also into Graphic Design and so the Bishops wife showed me several pieces of work that he had created. It was very impressive! :)

Feb 16:
I love Sundays! :D We have our regular morning studies and shared our reports at our Mission Correlation meeting and Ward Council. This week we had our first full sacrament meeting and me and my companion taught the gospel principles class! :) After church we attended Ward Choir and we are currently practicing Give Said the Little Stream and Come Thou Fount. :) Then we had dinner at a members home where their two kids are absolutely hilarious. Anything you said to them they just laughed their hearts out!

Well, that's pretty much it for this past week, I hope everything is going well for you! Please feel free to write me an email or send me letter! I will do my best to respond quickly on my next preparation day! :)

I love you all so much! The Church is true!

Elder Harper